Friday, April 10, 2015

My DCP

What's the Disney College Program and what am I doing in it

      The Disney College Program is quite simply a paid internship where you have the opportunity to work within WDW at one of the parks or resorts in a variety of different roles. Disney supplies you with housing (rent comes out of your paycheck on a weekly basis), there are buses for transportation but you can also bring your car and participants also have the opportunity to take classes offered by Disney if they so choose. The internship and classes can both be credited by your university, but this does vary from school to school (my school does not credit either for me). There are four different programs, Spring, Spring Advantage, Fall and Fall advantage; Spring and Fall are January to May & August to January, respectively; Spring and Fall Advantage are January to August & May to January, respectively.
      The roles they offer vary from Attractions to Merchandise to Concierge to Bell Service (my role!). You are able to specify your interest in each of the different roles as you complete your application, which I will go into more depth in during my next post.
      So, what am I doing in my program....Bell Service Dispatch/Greeter at a WDW resort. Being totally honest, I have no idea exactly what being on the bell service team at a WDW resort will entail beside the obvious luggage assistance. I struggled to find any information on the role once I found out it was what I got accepted for. I would have preferred the Hospitality (Front Desk) or Concierge roles, but I am satisfied to be working in a resort. From what I could tell, all of the resort operations roles are SUPER competitive and REALLY rare, so I am really happy that I am just in the role at all! A lot of people usually get accepted for roles like Attractions, Merchandise, Quick Service Food & Beverage or Custodial because there are so many different locations to place CPs in those roles.
      During my program I am primarily looking to get as much work experience as I can and do not have any plans to take classes right now, but that could change as time goes on. And since I am graduating early, this is technically my first job out of school so it works out pretty perfectly because I will not need to go through the hassle of getting my program credited!

No comments:

Post a Comment