Friday, August 14, 2015

It's Not About the Money, Money, Money

Seriously though, the DCP isn't about the money

    In reality, its about the experience and although I am still yet to participate in it, I am taking my classmates word for it as well as my own thoughts on what to expect. We are the bottom of the barrel, usually working the most hours and getting paid the lowest wage, so our earnings are not going to be great to begin with. Next, we factor in the weekly rent that will be withdrawn which, although small in comparison to most, is still a significant amount of money to lose on a weekly basis. Then there is necessity number two, FOOD. We all need it and we are all gonna be buying it, more often than not from restaurants or somewhere in the park rather than cooking. Even as someone who cooked as many meals as possible for myself during my time at college, I want to spend as much time outside my apartment as possible during my DCP so I see myself eating out a significant amount, which I've come to accept. Lastly, its Disney, we're Disney fans and we will be surrounded by Disney merch...we are going to end up buying some if not a ton of it!
    The most proactive action we can take leading up to the DCP is to work and save that money so we are able to support ourselves financially throughout our program. As of now, I just completed a ten week internship and saved as much money from that as possible, as well as the money I saved working during this past school year, so I'm thankful to a have a fair amount saved up. The last thing I want restricting my ability to have a good time in Disney is money, and I am doing everything I can to thwart that.
    And let's be honest, everyone keeps telling us how AMAZING Disney looks on a resume. I have heard it from everyone...from classmates to co workers, everyone raves about how great Disney will look on my resume for future job applications. So in my mind, making money is just a perk on top of being able to learn from the greatest hospitality company on the planet. Having the opportunity to make a guest's day magical is all the incentive I needed to want to participate.

No comments:

Post a Comment