Wednesday, November 16, 2016

3 Favorite Attractions: Magic Kingdom

Mickey's Philharmagic
     I met a lot people during my CP and came to the conclusion most people either love Philharmagic or could careless for it. Personally, I could watch this one over and over and over and never get sick of it. Growing up when I did, this attraction takes me through all the movies that I grew up with and their greatest songs. The soundtracks to those movies are what I love most about them and this attraction puts them all into one place and does it in a whimsical, seamless manner. And Donald's sassyness throughout the film adds some good laughs into it as well. I saw this one so many times I memorized the sequences in each film it went through, where the lyrics started and ended, everything. I love this attraction!
     Two more reasons I love this attraction, air conditioning and no wait time....ever....like seriously ever. The only waiting you will ever have to do is for the show in front of you to end so you can enter the theater. I have only seen Philharmagic's wait time go above 10 minutes during the peak holiday seasons, around Thanksgiving and Christmas. I almost always guaranteed myself a visit to Philharmagic if I was at MK for an extended period of time. And of course the air conditioning, the reason a lot of people end up at Philharmagic. It is a beautiful luxury of the indoor attractions and movies, feeling that cool burst of air across your face as you step into the queue. It is tough to beat that feeling on a hot Florida day.
     Last but not least, this attraction is all inclusive and no one will need to be left out. I went to the parks with a variety of different people who were against some attractions and refused to experience them, and it isn't a great feeling leaving them to wait on the side while you go and enjoy it. Thankfully this is never a problem with Philharmagic, it is nothing more than a 3D musical movie that guests of all ages can enjoy. I will be seriously disappointed if/when this attraction is replaced, I love it too much.

Splash Mountain
     Going much more mainstream with this selection but this has been one of my favorite attractions ever since the first time I rode it as a kid. Something about the theme and music this attraction has that never fails to bring a smile to my face and have me bouncing along to the rhythm of "Zip-A-Dee-Do-Dah." I rode it so many times that when my family came and visited and we went on it, I was singing along like a child and they all just looked at me like I was crazy, and I loved it. Hearing the music in the queue and on the ride itself manages to make me forget any worries or distractions I had going on and just makes me happy. There were times before my CP, where I'd be doing homework or studying and I'd listen to the music from Splash Mountain's queue I love it that much.
     Being the thrill seeker I am there is of course the ever looming drop gives Splash Mountain its name that I will always enjoy. Along with this drop comes the opportunity to create an ever memorable Photopass photo, an opportunity I will always seize. As is evident with the many Photopass photos I have saved from my Memory Maker stints. With this drop comes some pretty great views as well. As you progress through the attraction you continue higher and higher up the mountain and get progressively better views of the Magic Kingdom. One of my best memories of this attraction was when I was about to crest the top of the mountain and plunge into the Briar Patch and our log was stopped. I managed to snap a pretty outstanding photo from the top of Splash Mountain at sunset with Cinderella Castle and Space Mountain in the distance, truly unforgettable.
     Another great memory I have from this ride that compounds why I love it so much, was seeing Wishes while riding. It happened completely by coincidence and was quite the treat when it happened. It did not click for myself or my roommate that we were getting on right around when Wishes was starting and if you ever have this opportunity, embrace it. We ended up at the the big drop about a third of the way through Wishes and as we were pulling into the unloading station, through the opening above us we were able to see the grand finale, clear as day.

The PeopleMover
     Those who are not die hard Disney fans may find this selection questionable as it is such a simple attraction, but most Disney nerds that I met and explored with loved The Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover just as much as I do. This attraction is incredibly basic, taking you on an elevated ride through Tomorrowland in and out of different attractions, but it can also be a beautiful escape from the chaos. As you board and then zoom off on the track, you get to look down at all the people exploring Tomorrowland as you can sit back and relax. You're taken all throughout Tomorrowland inside of Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin and Mickey's Startraders and get some neat birds eye views into each.
     As is the case with Philharmagic, this is another attraction that will never have a wait unless it is a peak season. You will always walk on and if it is really slow, you can ask to just stay on and ride again. Included in this attraction as well is some cool history, when your inside the buildings of Tomorrowland you'll be taken past the original plan for EPCOT as Walt intially imagined it, which is much different from the EPCOT we have today.
     Overall this is a great attraction to just allow yourself a chance to sit back and relax. It may not be an air conditioned theater, but it is shaded and you get a nice breeze as the trains zip along above all of Tomorrowland. It may be underappreciated by most passersby, but the Disney veteran knows the value this attraction has and loves it for its simplicity.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment