Wednesday, November 16, 2016

No DCP Bucket List


And I stand by it...
     I couldn't tell you where I read it or when I read it, but when I saw someone write on their blog that they chose not to make DCP bucket list because they did not want to set expectations for their program, I thought they were genius. Because they were right, setting that list of expectations can set yourself up for a let down, and I did not want that. Sure I had my own expectations of going to the parks and a few things I REALLY wanted to do, but I never made it into a tangible list. They merely remained thoughts in my head to motivate me to get them done, because after doing the program, I can tell you flat out, unless you stay afterwards and are there for years after, you cannot do it all. It is unfortunate and disappointing, but it is the truth. There are so many places I never got to go, never got to eat it and a few rides I never ended up doing and I felt like I was there for a lifetime. But I was okay with it, I still did more than I could have imagined.
     There are going to be times where plans are out of your control and unpredictable. If you're relying on someone to do something with and they back out or get called into work, its not all clear cut. So be prepared for that unpredictability and embrace it. Some days your going to be the only one off from work and want to do the parks, so you just gotta go ride Space Mountain by yourself because you want to. Next thing you know, someone is off work and can meet you at the park and you spend the rest of your night there together. Just let it all happen to you, make the plans where you can but everything is going to figure itself out and some of the best things that will happen during your program are going to be things you never could've dreamed would happen to you or planned for.
     I am grateful I was able to knock off the 3 biggest things I wanted to do while I was at Disney, I ate at California Grill, I went on the Wild Africa Trek, and became a Galactic Hero on Buzz Lightyear. I planned way in ahead for California Grill and that was hands down the one "if I don't do this I might cry" thing I had for my DCP. Most others I could have lived without and been okay, but I planned ahead and got to eat there and it was incredible. And in my opinion, I think that is how your DCP should be approached. Making a long bucket list of things to do and knock off can definitely be a fun challenge, but trying to bust through all of it is not easy. We're all going to miss out on some things, there is just too much to do in that small period of time, and setting your expectations too high can be daunting. Just going with the flow, letting everything happen as it did made me as happy as I could have been.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment